v14+ loss of Option F

Chip Scheide
I was working with a dialog today which was not behaving correctly.

I made some changes which I thought might fix the problem, and then ran
the code in the "user" environment (i.e. I did Menu RUN -> Run Method).

This allowed me to test the changes, as it should, HOWEVER - the dialog
(form) has the form properties:
Associated Menu Bar - with a menubar referenced
Active Menu Bar - ON

The change I made fixed the issue with the dialog. However, testing the
form the way I did replaced the standard 'User"/design menu with the
one specified for the dialog form. This removed all of the
functionality of the normal "user" menus.

I am using v12, so I can click on a method window to access Design and
then select Test Application form the Run menu. This gives me a 4D
splash screen where I can type Option-F which returns me to the "user"
environment WITH the standard menu.

As I understand it, beginning in v14 this functionality is lost (no
Option-F)

How is this, or similer situations (4D's stander menu switched out) to
be handled?

Note: I DO have  GoTo design menu item, but in the above scenario, most
if not all of the menu functionality in MY menu fails to function; so
GoTo Design does nothing.

Chip

Re: v14+ loss of Option F

Jeffrey Kain
Another way is to force a breakpoint with a command-option-right click to bring the debugger forward, and then click Edit or Abort And Edit.  If you have a developer tools palette or some other development mode-only type of window displayed, you could add a button that simply calls TRACE.

> On Jan 9, 2017, at 10:37 AM, Chip Scheide <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How is this, or similer situations (4D's stander menu switched out) to
> be handled?
>
> Note: I DO have  GoTo design menu item, but in the above scenario, most
> if not all of the menu functionality in MY menu fails to function; so
> GoTo Design does nothing.

Re: v14+ loss of Option F

Peter Bozek-2
On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Jeffrey Kain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another way is to force a breakpoint with a command-option-right click to
> bring the debugger forward, and then click Edit or Abort And Edit.

This somehow does not work well with remote debugging. I am doing more and
more work remotely, using RemoteDektop / TeamViewer and obscure key
combinations are pain.

--

Peter Bozek

Re: v14+ loss of Option F

Nigel Greenlee-2
Chip

When i went to V14 implemented my own pseudo user mode. There is Miyako component to do one very quickly. I rolled my own because

1) I never take the easy road
2) I wanted to use the opportunity to control user mode(i sometime let administrators in there) and wanted to keep them away from some tables and  and ‘manipulate’ some field names contextualy.

Its a while ago I did it now i don't remember it being too painful-but then i already had a ‘quit to user ‘method-which did a post key in the pre V14 days, and I had already implemented code to build menus dynamically and as you know also had a pretty slick way of creating a listbox based output form. my code that runs  in the quit to user method does(SOMETHING LIKE) the following

If (Is compiled mode)
HIDE TOOL BAR
$Proc:=New process("PseudoUserMode";256000;"User Mode")

Else
  //lets me get to design mode this way in V14

SET WINDOW RECT(53;50;53+455;50+267;Frontmost window)

TRACE//this lets me get to design mode-not very elegant!!

ON EVENT CALL("")
end  if

here is a little link to a video showing my pseudo user mode-there are things i never fully ironed out but you will get the idea(hope you especially like my implementation of quick report)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw0c8xk9g43iri2/psuedouser.mov?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw0c8xk9g43iri2/psuedouser.mov?dl=0>

Nigel