v16 Component Compiler error

4D Tech mailing list
So, trying to compile a component in v16 and getting repeated error:

0: A method and a variable have the same name: ?

I generally keep my components in the 4D application folder Components.

Unhelpfully, 4D doesn't tell what the conflict is. Oh, and there's no
variable which conflicts with a method name

Tried moving components in and out of this folder, all to no avail.

Never a problem in earlier versions

Anyone else seen this?

--
Bob Finnerty
*Exodus Software*

Re: v16 Component Compiler error

4D Tech mailing list
Bob,
Does the component you are compiling call any other components?

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Bob Finnerty via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, trying to compile a component in v16 and getting repeated error:
>
> 0: A method and a variable have the same name: ?
>
> I generally keep my components in the 4D application folder Components.
>
> Unhelpfully, 4D doesn't tell what the conflict is. Oh, and there's no
> variable which conflicts with a method name
>
> Tried moving components in and out of this folder, all to no avail.
>
> Never a problem in earlier versions
>
> Anyone else seen this?
>
> --
> Bob Finnerty
> *Exodus Software*

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: v16 Component Compiler error

4D Tech mailing list
Well, yes

But I may have stumbled on the answer: It seems to be related in some way
to 4DPop - when I remove these components, the error disappears..

Not sure why, exactly

Bob

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bob,
> Does the component you are compiling call any other components?
>
> On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Bob Finnerty via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So, trying to compile a component in v16 and getting repeated error:
> >
> > 0: A method and a variable have the same name: ?
> >
> > I generally keep my components in the 4D application folder Components.
> >
> > Unhelpfully, 4D doesn't tell what the conflict is. Oh, and there's no
> > variable which conflicts with a method name
> >
> > Tried moving components in and out of this folder, all to no avail.
> >
> > Never a problem in earlier versions
> >
> > Anyone else seen this?
> >
> > --
> > Bob Finnerty
> > *Exodus Software*
> > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]

> Kirk Brooks
> San Francisco, CA
> =======================
>
> *The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.*
>
> *- Edmund Burke*

Bob Finnerty
*Exodus Software*

Re: v16 Component Compiler error

4D Tech mailing list
Bob,
I'm betting that one of the components has the offending culprit in it -
either a variable name or method name. And the method may be invisible
which makes it even more challenging to identify.

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Bob Finnerty via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, yes
>
> But I may have stumbled on the answer: It seems to be related in some way
> to 4DPop - when I remove these components, the error disappears..
>
> Not sure why, exactly

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: v16 Component Compiler error

4D Tech mailing list
Kirk

Probably unlrelated..but i am getting an error from 4D pop in V16-i used the application maker and when it build the application i then get and error..so it seems someone at 4D needs to pop in to the pop plugs and fix some things.

> On 4 Jun 2017, at 05:00, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob,
> I'm betting that one of the components has the offending culprit in it -
> either a variable name or method name. And the method may be invisible
> which makes it even more challenging to identify.
>
> On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Bob Finnerty via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, yes
>>
>> But I may have stumbled on the answer: It seems to be related in some way
>> to 4DPop - when I remove these components, the error disappears..
>>
>> Not sure why, exactly
>>

> --
> Kirk Brooks
> San Francisco, CA
> =======================
>
> *The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.*
>
> *- Edmund Burke*

Re: v16 Component Compiler error

4D Tech mailing list
Nigel,

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 6:15 AM, Nigel Greenlee via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​...
> so it seems someone at 4D needs to pop in to the pop plugs and fix some
> things.

​Nice.

​But seriously - why would you ​build an app with 4DPOP in it?

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: v16 Component Compiler error

4D Tech mailing list
Kirk,

First of all, 4D has now released the source of its components such as
4DPop, so your on your own for debugging.

On my component compiling error, I think the problem is thus:

My Compiler folder next to the 4D app is where I keep the critters. Being
lazy, I put the 4DPop components interpreted in there, along with the
compiled components of my own.

This mix causes problems when I recompile a component update. If all the
components in the folder are compiled, no problem; if some are interpreted,
I get the "method=variable name" error, and warnings about duplicate method
names for the component being compiled. Take out the interpreted
components, problem goes away.

So I'm guessing the compiler gets confused with components in mixed
environments. Didn't on prior versions - but perhaps because I was using
4D's compiled 4DPop components

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 8:17 AM, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nigel,
>
> On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 6:15 AM, Nigel Greenlee via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ​...
> > so it seems someone at 4D needs to pop in to the pop plugs and fix some
> > things.
> >
> ​Nice.
>
> ​But seriously - why would you ​build an app with 4DPOP in it?
>
> --
> Kirk Brooks
> San Francisco, CA
>
> *The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.*
>
> *- Edmund Burke*

Bob Finnerty
*Exodus Software*